Friday, September 9, 2011

FEATURED DESIGNER - AKEYNO HANDMADE ACCESSORIES

THE HISTORY OF ANKARA


Ankara Material


The Ankara fabric is a flamboyant and colorful material that has become popular not only in Africa but internationally. It started when the Turkish people from Ankarra, produced a replica and cheaper version of the quality Dutch Wax print. The replica was an imitation of the Indonesian batik that was locally produced in Java at the time, it became very affordable to more people. The English and Dutch who were well know colonial powers helped in industrializing and popularizing the material, by so doing, it became popular in other foreign lands.



The material evolved from the original (hand drawn motifs on cotton material), to mass-produced materials whereby the machines do the engraving and dye resistant resin, this in turn produces a batik effect on the material similar to that of the Dutch.



The material eventually spread to different parts of Africa. In East Africa for example, it is known as Kanga; In Zambia and Southern Africa it is called Chitenge or Kitenge. The French people also identified with the fabric and named it Se Promener. The fabric has graced global fashion shows such as New York Fashion Week and has been worn by many celebrities like Beyonce and her sister Solange, Gwen Stefani, Rihanna and so on.



We had an opportunity to interview a young designer, Yinka, who uses Ankara to make beautiful necklaces and other accessories.



Enjoy the interview:


AKEYNO HANDMADE ACCESSORIES 

Tell us how Akeyno started?


Kente Flower Necklace
It was actually my father that encouraged me to start my own business, when I told him I wanted to get a job to help pay for some expenses for my junior prom that was coming up. At that time my line was called O Jewelry. In high school, I used only beads and I sold my creations to my teachers and classmates. When I got to college, my mom gave me her sewing machine and I began experimenting with African fabrics (Ankara) as well.

Tell us a bit about yourself? Background/Origin?


Proud Owner
My name is Olayinka Oni-orisan and I’m Nigerian. I’m a student at Howard University in Washington, DC. I enjoy trying new foods, dancing, and sewing. Most importantly I LOVE making accessories, in a way,it’s therapeutic for me.


Why did you choose Akeyno as a brand name for your jewelry line, does it have a meaning? How long have you been in business?

Kente Africa
Akeyno is my middle name, Onyeka, spelled backwards. It originates from the Igbo tribe and means 'Who is greater than God?' I have been in business since 2005, which was my sophomore year in high school.




What techniques and materials do you most enjoy using in your work?

I enjoy making ruffles to make the ruffle bib necklace and I enjoy working with different patterns of African fabric.




Describe the Akeyno woman/man (that is, your ideal client)?

Keke Bib Necklace

My ideal client is a fashion-forward individual who is proud of their unique sense of style. 


What is your favorite jewelry piece in your collection/all your work so far and why?




The Akeyno signature bib necklace is my favorite because it is a statement piece.




Which other designers do you like or appreciate?


OYATO, Boxing Kitten, and Grey



What is your price range?

Ankara Clutch Bag


$10-$50





Where we can buy your jewelry pieces?       

You can shop Akeyno's jewelry pieces online at www.akeyno.com


No comments:

Post a Comment